beagle

There are many toxic items that your pet can get into at home. Toxic substances can be found in your cabinets, back yard, or even at your dinner table. Here are a few tips to help keep your pet safe and avoid an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

People Food:

Foods like raisins, grapes, avocado, onions, garlic and citrus fruit can be extremely dangerous to your pet. Chocolate is one of the worst things for pets to get into. Chocolate toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even become serious enough to cause seizures.

Human Medication:

It can be as simple as dropping a pill on the floor or your pet snagging a pill vials off of a nightstand or table. Keep all human medications away from pets where they cannot reach them.

Heavy Metal:

I’m not talking about rock music here. Metal such as lead, zinc and mercury can poison your pet. Watch for lead which can be found in linoleum and paint chips.

Fertilizer:

Outdoor cats and dogs that ingest fertilizer can become very sick. It is important to contact us if your pet has gotten into any fertilizer or law care chemicals.

Insecticides:

Pets can be at risk if you guard your home against bugs and other pests. Ask a licensed pest control company what pet safe options they have. Also beware of flea and tick prevention for your pet. Applying the wrong treatment can be dangerous. Ask us for more information on the proper topical treatments.

Rat and Mouse poison:

Bait used to trap rodents contains ingredients that are toxic to pets. Pets are attracted to these toxins and they can be life-threatening. Always make sure your pet cannot access these harmful poisons.

Chemicals:

Your pet cannot tell when a substance can be deadly. Paint thinner, antifreeze, and pool cleaner, bleaches, detergents and disinfectants are a danger to pets. Substances in this group can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, respiratory difficulties, chemical burns and even death.

Plants:

Household plants can be harmful to pets. Lilies are especially toxic to cats. If a cat ingests even a small amount of lily it can be deadly. Visit ASPCA’s website at the link below to learn more about what plants are and are not harmful to your pet.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

Another helpful number to call if your pet has gotten into something toxic:

Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.

Write a comment:

*

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright @ Stockton Hill Animal Hospital, all rights reserved.

For emergency cases        (928) 757-7979